Renew Europe is the ultimate defender of the rights of sexual minorities. Our Group has fought tirelessly for equal rights & opportunities of LGBTQI+ people in the EU and beyond. Although the majority of member states have legal measures against discrimination, they are not sufficiently implemented, leaving members of the LGBTQI+ community vulnerable to hate crimes and discrimination in their everyday lives.
Our determination is to make tangible progress within this legislature by:
- Declaring Europe a LGBTQI+ Freedom Zone (EP resolution voted in March 2021 )
- Recognising and expanding the rights of rainbow families in all 27 Member States
- Banning forced conversion therapies targeting youth
- Pushing for the adoption of Horizontal Equal Treatment Directive, including strong equal treatment rights for LGBTQI+ people
- Ensuring the EU is a safe and welcoming place of refuge for LGBTQI+ asylum seekers
- and advocating the inclusion of LGBTI rights in all EU monitoring exercises on Democracy, Rule of Law and Fundamental Rights across the EU27