Renew Europe considers that the freedom of movement and the growth of economic activities are not incompatible with demanding high protection of the environment. This is why the Renew Europe group of the European Parliament adopted a position paper which proposes to shift European transport policy in favour of inland waterway transport, urging for effective measures boosting multimodality.
Thе Renew Europe webinar will focus on the inland waterway sector as well as inland ports in its efforts to invest in sustainable solutions, research and digitalisation, which helps to reduce road and urban congestion, creates jobs and contributes to a more sustainable transport system as a whole. The webinar will also assess the main challenges for this sector, which are the question of financing the energy transition and the creation of a robust business case.
9:30 - 9:40: Welcome and introduction:
MEP Bauzà Díaz, Renew Europe TRAN Coordinator
- MEP Nagtegaal, Renew Europe TRAN Vice-Coordinator
9:40 - 10:20: Presentation by the European Commission, experts and stakeholders
Ms Magda Kopczynska, DG MOVE, European Commission
- Mr Jan Sechter, Deputy Minister of Transport of the Czech Republic
- Mr Manfred Seitz, Director General at Danube Commission
- Mr Bruno Georges, Secretary General at Central Commission for the Navigation of the Rhine (CCNR)
- Mr Khalid Tachi, General Director at Dutch Expertise and Innovation Centre for IWT
- Mr Henk Prins, President of the Waterborne Technology Platform
- Mr Turi Fiorito, Director-General European Federation of Inland Ports
- Ms Femke Brenninkmeijer, CEO Dutch Inland Navigators Organisation
10:20 -10:35: Q&A with Renew Europe Members and Commission & experts/stakeholders
10:35 - 10:45: Closing remarks, MEP Caroline Nagtegaal